Tuesday, July 13, 2010

10 miles and beyond

So I was able to do the 10 mile run on Sunday. It went well, except my run meter got turned off towards the end and I didn't know my exact mileage. I ended up running an extra .6 of a mile to make sure I didn't short change my training. The whole ice/cold bath is a good thing. I really feel that this helps with recovery after those long runs. After the run and icy goodness, I walked to the Pumphouse with my wife for lunch, it felt good to get out and move. That night I went to the Thrice concert in Denver. Great show, but it was tough being out past midnight after such a long and early run.

I did notice some soreness in my feet, but not totally saying it was the run - 3 hours of standing at a concert played a role. Some icing, stretching, and shorter runs this week have helped a lot. I also had my first twinge of knee pain. It freaked me out a little because that is always the first question when people hear I'm training for the marathon. I blew out my knee 5 years ago and had it replaced the same year. The twinge passed quickly and I haven't had any new pain. I don't think this will be an issue and I am living on Joint Juice (the new formula isn't too bad) to help.

Just 3 miles on Monday and Tuesday, nice break. I can't believe I just wrote that a 3 mile run is a "break" and more surprising is that it truly feels like a break. I guess that is the point of this type of training and it is working. Tomorrow is the start of interval training... barf.

I ordered a RoadID today - I think this is a good idea since I train alone. I'm thinking all of my running friends can anticipate getting one for their next birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment